- The Cuboree traditionally takes place every three years, and consists of five days and four nights of activities and entertainment for Cub Scouts.
- The 7th NSW Cuboree ‘What On Earth’ was scheduled to be held between 5 and 9 January 2020 at Cataract Scout Park in Appin.
What has happened?
- The NSW Cuboree 2020 has unfortunately been cancelled.
Why has this happened?
- Over the weekend of 21/22 December, the NSW Cuboree team received a firm recommendation from the RFS Command and the Regional Emergency Management Officer, advising them to cancel Cuboree 2020.
- This recommendation was due in part to the extraordinary resource pressure being placed on our volunteer fire-fighters as a result of unprecedented bushfires, and the associated risks with holding any large event in a National Park at this time.
When was this decision made?
- The Cuboree 2020 team had been working closely with authorities including the Regional Emergency Management Officer at Wollondilly Shire and the local Rural Fire Command to monitor, review and discuss emergency planning to ensure we were well prepared for any health, safety and welfare risks and to make appropriate decisions.
- As December progressed, preparation was made for a number of potential options, following the unprecedented bushfires across NSW, and the associated increased risk profile for this event.
- The decision was made after a recommendation from the RFS, which took place over the weekend of 21/22 December.
- At that time, it became clear that with significant and persistent concerns over bushfires, road closures and air quality, the RFS was facing serious resource pressure and we took the tough decision to cancel the event.
What happens now?
- Our first steps are to implement our emergency communications plan to ensure all families and attendees have access to the information they need about the event’s cancellation.
Were you prepared for this situation?
- Yes, Scouts NSW takes the health and safety of our members at Scouting events very seriously. In light of the unprecedented fire conditions across NSW throughout December, and the associated air pollution, the NSW Cuboree had put heightened risk management and emergency plans in place.
Will I receive a refund of my Cuboree Fee?
Yes. All participants will receive a full refund of the event attendance fee. The volunteer Cuboree Team is finalising the process to ensure a smooth experience. More information will be available in the New Year.
What is happening with the pre-ordered merchandise?
Every attendee will receive their event hat, shirt and lanyard. These items will be packed into their Units for collection. Items for Service Leaders and Junior Service Leaders will be added to your home Unit.
Pre-ordered merchandise will be labelled with the individual’s details and included with the event merchandise for distribution through home Units.
For attendees from Regional areas, the Cuboree Merchandise Team will work with your Regional Liaison Leaders to identify the most efficient way to manage this process for home Units.
Where can I find out more information?
- Please note we will probably not be able to respond to all individual social media messages or comments. All information will be updated as regularly as possible.
How are the team?
- Cuboree 2020 has been broadly organised by a core team of 100 volunteer leaders, supported by a further 100 Unit Coordinators and Sub Camp team and involving 1,000 other volunteer adults from across the State.
- This decision has not been made lightly. Most of the team have dedicated large hours of their time over the past three years to this project. You can understand they are devastated.
- In particular, they feel for the participants that will not benefit from this event. Our time and energies are now being put into an orderly close down of the event and considering what we can do next.
How do I find Cuboree on social media?
Follow the links below and like or follow each account.
To turn on notifications:
- Follow @ScoutsNSW
- Click the same button on the Scouts NSW profile that says ‘Following’
- Click ‘Notifications’ from the new menu
- Click what you want to follow. We suggest you follow both posts and stories
- Like @ScoutsNSW
- Click the ‘Following’ button dropdown
- Click the pen icon next to ‘Notifications’
- Click ‘Standard’
- Click ‘Done’